Currently Working on Content Creation. If you have any ideas you'd like to share, please email us!

Amanda Knox

Amanda Knox

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:28 am

In September of 2007, 20-year-old American college student Amanda Knox moved to Perugia, Italy for a year of studies at the University for Foreigners. Her roommates in Italy were Italian-born Filomena and Laura (both in late 20s), and 21-year-old Meredith Kercher (who was found murdered in her bedroom on 1st November of 2007). Kercher was also studying abroad, originally from England, and although the she had a civil rapport with Knox, there was incidents described by Kercher's close friends that hinted at a bit of animosity between the girls. Knox, a guitar-playing tomboy from Seattle, had quite clearly gone to Italy with high hopes, as many Americans do during semesters abroad, and engaged in sexual activity with a few men whilst in Italy. One of these men happened to be Raffaele Sollecito, who had been her boyfriend during the time of Kercher's murder. It's not unusual for college-aged people to "hook up" and have fun, but these choices would soon turn against her in the hands of Italian Supreme Court Prosecutor, Giuliano Mignini.

Let's rewind a bit...

Knox and Sollecito had started their relationship around mid-October of 2007, roughly one month after her move, and spent a lot of time together. The pair of them were extremely loving towards one another, never shying away from public displays of affection. Sollecito was a little older, and happened to be a computer engineering student. He had his own flat, where they had frequently spent nights together. Knox had been with Sollecito on the night of Kercher's murder. In her first recollection of that night, Knox told the Italian police that she and Sollecito had smoked marijuana, had sex and watched the film "Amelie" on his computer. That was their night. She had then woken up and decided to head back to her place for a quick shower and change of clothes. During her brief time at home, Knox noticed the front door had been left open and several drops of blood in the bathroom that she shared with Kercher. She brushed it off, thinking it was just menstrual blood or perhaps blood from shaving, but it turned out to be the blood of her murdered roommate. Knox showered, changed her clothes and returned to her boyfriend's flat to have breakfast with him. They then walked back to her place and noticed Filomena's bedroom window had been smashed, indicating a break-in. Knox called Filomena and told her what happened, and tried to contact Kercher, whose door was locked shut. Knox then called her mother for advice, whilst Sollecito called his police officer sister. Before they had a chance to dial any emergency numbers, the Post and Communications Police (a division that investigates crime related to communications: credit card fraud, computer hacking, etc ) arrived at the scene and had with them Meredith Kercher's mobile phone, which they later found out had been discarded in a random woman's backyard by the murderer. The woman had reported ringing in her backyard, undoubtedly from the numerous phone calls made to Kercher by her friends and family, which then led the Post and Communications Police (PCP) to Kercher's place of residence.

This is when things get positively eery.

Knox tells them about the break-in and that Kercher's door was locked. Filomena soon arrives on the scene with a few of her friends and together, the group enter the house and as it turns out, none of Filomena's things are missing, which paints an even more confusing picture. The police break through Kercher's door, whilst Knox is on the phone with her mother, and immediately, Filomena shouts "It's a foot! A foot!". Knox checks to see what is happening, and as she peers through the door, she spots a comforter draped over Meredith Kercher's dead body. There is blood everywhere. It is clear she has been murdered, and so begins the investigation.

The real police arrive and as they gather evidence and take statements outside of the shared house, Knox is seen in the arms of Sollecito, exchanging frequent kisses whilst the other roommates and friends of Kercher are devastated. This public display of affection was recorded and played in various media sources throughout Italy, England and the United States for the duration of the trial. That was her first error. Mignini would soon use this piece of video footage against Knox, describing her as a sex-crazed deviant who murdered her roommate out of jealousy and bloodlust.

The house is closed off as a crime scene, leaving Knox without clothes and basic essentials. Sollecito offers his flat to her, and she accepts. About a day later, they enter a clothing store to grab some things for her to wear and end up purchasing only a pair of bathing suit bottoms. The reason behind this is unknown, but Mignini manipulates the information and tells the media that Knox bought a pair of "sexy underwear" for her boyfriend only a day after the brutal murder.

On 5th November, the police call Sollecito in for questioning after taking a look at the contents of laptop and discerning the fact that his online activity did not depict any human interaction, which deters his and his girlfriend's alibi. Sollecito, a soft-spoken young man, is interrogated to his breaking point and alleges a story that involves Knox leaving his flat on the night of Kercher's murder from 9PM to 1AM. This is the time frame in which the murder took place. Knox, who is waiting for him in the corridor of the police office, is then seen doing cartwheels despite the grave situation. She explains this as a method of relieving stress, but once again...another mistake. This was her second error.

Due to Sollecito's change in story, Knox is called in for interrogation and, without any preparation or a lawyer present, is questioned by her interrogators with hard-grilled tactics used to break down members of the Italian mafia. Knox alleges abuse had taken place during this interrogation, particularly from Chief Detective Inspector Rita Ficarra. They interrogate her for hours and break her down so far that she ends up fabricating a story involving a man named Diya Patrick Lumumba.

Lumumba was a club-owner (of Le Chic) and happened to be Knox's boss. She worked as a server at the club to earn extra money whilst studying abroad. He was an older, Congolese gentleman who treated Knox with kindness, and happened to be the last person Knox had contacted via mobile on the night of Kercher's murder. She sent him a text message after her told her she didn't have to go in for work that night. The text message ended with "See you later" in Italian, which, by North American standards, is used a casual farewell, whereas the Italian police took it literally and forced Knox to draw a connection between this text message and the murder. She broke down and falsely accused Lumumba of being involved in Meredith's murder, saying she met with him that night and returned to her home, where Meredith was alone, and heard Lumumba attack her whilst she waited in the kitchen. In her written statement, Knox says I have a hard time remembering those moments but Patrick had sex with Meredith, with whom he was infatuated, but I cannot remember clearly whether he threatened Meredith first. I remember confusedly that he killed her."

This is, of course, a complete lie and simply the result of intense interrogation, abuse and scare tactics. Lumumba is arrested and spends two weeks in prison, before an alibi emerges from the person with whom he had been socializing on the night of the murder. He is released. His alibi is rock-solid. He is innocent, but doesn't take any of this lightly, saying Knox is soulless and going forth in a civil lawsuit against her for defamation.

During this time, Knox and Sollecito are imprisoned. Knox's mother flies out to Italy to offer her daughter support and strings together some lawyers.

On 19th November, fingerprints at the crime scene indicate another man is responsible for the murder. His name is Rudy Guede. He met Kercher and Knox around their house in passing. He was an acquaintance of a couple of the young men who lived downstairs, and was a known drug-dealer. He frequented their home during the month Knox was there, but she only remembers seeing him once, and it turns out Guede had fled the country (from Italy to Germany) shortly after Meredith's murder, which suggests involvement. He also stole her money.

It is quite clear he is guilty, and, at first, Guede told the police that Knox was not involved in the murder and that she wasn't there. It doesn't take long before he changes his story and tells them he had arrived at the house and engaged in consensual sex with Kercher, retreating to the bathroom afterwards, only to find her dead body draped across the floor. He claims to have seen two people running away from the home, one of whom he describes as Knox.

His story changes several times. The police spin the story into some sex orgy gone wrong, telling various media sources that Guede, Knox and Sollecito are responsible for the murder, and that Knox acted as head of the snake. They describe it as a Satanic ritual, using whatever methods they can to convict Knox and Sollecito, despite lack of evidence. All three are held in prison during court proceedings and analysis.

On 29th October 2008 Guede is sentenced to 30 years in prison, with DNA evidence to back his conviction up . Knox and Sollecito are charged with sexual assault and murder.

Their trial begins on 16th January of 2009. Prosecution requests life in prison for Knox and Sollecito, with nine months in solitary confinement for Knox. Knox is sentenced to 26 years in prison, whilst Sollecito is sentenced to 25.

Knox is devastated, along with many others.

It is roughly 3 years after Kercher's murder that Knox and Sollecito's appeal opens (24th November 2010). It was opened due to Independent forensic experts saying the evidence used against Knox and Sollecito (which, at the time, consisted of a knife from Sollecito's flat and a bra clasp with Knox's DNA on it) was flawed. They prove that not one was the evidence handled without care by the Italian forensics department, but also that it had nothing to do with the murder, especially in the case of the knife, which did not fit the stab marks in Kercher's body.

The mishandling of evidence is presented to court on 29th June of 2011, almost 4 years later, and after years of fighting for their freedom, Knox and Sollecito are released from prison on 3rd October 2011.

Guede is the man responsible. His DNA is all over the crime scene. Both factually and scientifically, he is the only person who could have possibly murdered Meredith Kercher, but there are hundreds, possible thousands of people who still believe Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito are responsible. Why? I don't exactly know, but I can say, in my own opinion, that I am deeply disturbed by Amanda Knox. I don't think she's guilty, but I don't quite think she's innocent. It has nothing to do with Mignini's wild allegations. In fact, I was completely on her side until I read her book, titled Waiting to be Heard: A Memoir. In both the book and various interviews (particularly the one with Diane Sawyer), she comes across as detached and not "all there" but this could easily be the result of the injustice she experienced at the hands of the Italian Legal System. The case has since been reopened, shortly after her book release, but Knox decided not to be there for obvious reasons.

What do you think?

Re: Amanda Knox

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:12 pm

OMG i read everything you write, i love unsolved crimes or mysteries , well i know this isn't the case anymore, but the way knox behave during the proceedings it's really strange, she is definitely guilty of something .... but in some cases we can't know all of absolute truth... :(

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:27 pm

This case is so fascinating (but obviously awful for Meridith's family who've suffered though it all). It was wrong to convict anyone without any proper evidence but Knox's behaviour comes across so strangely.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:37 pm

I agree.

I feel terrible for Meredith's family, as well. She was obviously a bright, beautiful young woman with many prospects. It's devastating that this happened during a time that should have been the best of her youth.

As for Amanda, I don't even know. I feel bad for her because she was wrongfully convicted and spent 4 years in prison, as an innocent person, but the way she handled herself was so...tactless. I feel worse for Raffaele, who was dragged into this situation because he was hanging around some cute American girl for a couple weeks. Such a shame. It's going to be so difficult for them to get their lives together.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:40 pm

I don't think Amanda Knox is a murderer but she's not innocent either, I don't know to what degree she's guilty off.

I definitely think she knows MUCH more about what happened that night then what she's said.

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Morena_p wrote:I don't think Amanda Knox is a murderer but she's not innocent either, I don't know to what degree she's guilty off.

I definitely think she knows MUCH more about what happened that night then what she's said.

IA, I always got the feeling she didn't actually kill her, but was there and helped stage the scene.

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:11 pm

She may not be a murderer, but she's guilty of something, I agree. I think she may know something. I'm sick of her being portrayed as a victim in all of this. No, she shouldn't have spent 4 years being labeled as a murderer, but she also should be investigated further. I think she helped in some way. I also feel bad for her "boyfriend" whom she ditched shortly after they were arrested (I saw a new interview, she's with a new man now). He obviously was just trying to help out and got dragged into this.

Am I seriously supposed to believe she went home and didn't think anything of the blood? Meredith was such a neatfreak from what I heard, that's why her and Amanda argued so much, she would've cleaned up blood. And then she made out with her "boyfriend" during the investigation. Sick.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:07 pm

TaylorKnows wrote:She may not be a murderer, but she's guilty of something, I agree. I think she may know something. I'm sick of her being portrayed as a victim in all of this. No, she shouldn't have spent 4 years being labeled as a murderer, but she also should be investigated further. I think she helped in some way. I also feel bad for her "boyfriend" whom she ditched shortly after they were arrested (I saw a new interview, she's with a new man now). He obviously was just trying to help out and got dragged into this.

Am I seriously supposed to believe she went home and didn't think anything of the blood? Meredith was such a neatfreak from what I heard, that's why her and Amanda argued so much, she would've cleaned up blood. And then she made out with her "boyfriend" during the investigation. Sick.

There's no way she was the murderer because her DNA wasn't on the crime scene. I think she was likely in the same house and heard what happened and freaked out so she didn't do anything, so she faked the break-in scene. She's not innocent but she will never spend another night in jail, no way will the US government give her over to Italy after all the public support she has.

Return to “News and Current Events”