Currently Working on Content Creation. If you have any ideas you'd like to share, please email us!

Starting a Travel Blog/Vlog - Opinions Needed!

Starting a Travel Blog/Vlog - Opinions Needed!

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:01 pm

(I have posted on GG a few times before but never on the advice column, so if this post is misplaced/should've been included in another topic then please feel free to redirect me.)

Aside from the likes of HeyNadine, JacksGap and various YouTubers' occasional voyage to attend an event or meet up with other YouTubers, there appears to be -- and please correct me if I'm wrong -- a serious lack of young bloggers/YouTubers with a passion for seeing the world and experiencing new cultures - especially on a budget! Therefore, along with the desire to catalog my travels for personal remembrance and reflection, as a penniless 19-year-old student who also happens to be a frequent flyer and travel enthusiast, I have been contemplating the idea of starting both a blog and YouTube channel dedicated to documenting my adventures - a blog for updates on my whereabouts/future trips, detailed and honest reviews of places I've been, photo-heavy posts with stories from the road and lists of tips and tricks I've learnt along the way, and a YouTube channel which includes well-produced vlog-style videos of each adventure.

Initial idea realised, I am still plagued by many questions (this is where you guys come in):
- Is this really a good idea?
- Would a blog and a YouTube channel be overkill?
- What should be included in the blog and what should be included in the vlog - where do I draw the line to ensure both are entertaining and informative without being repetitive?
- What would be the best vlog and blog post format?
- Would including costs and budgets be TMI?
- Should each trip be confined to one long video or split into several shorter episodes?
- Am I insane for even contemplating this?

I'm sorry for bombarding you guys with so many questions, but I need some serious advice on this one - some brutally honest GG advice! Any suggestions, comments or ideas would be very gratefully received. Thank you!

Re: Starting a Travel Blog/Vlog - Opinions Needed!

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:41 am

It SOUNDS awesome BUT risky. You would be putting your life at risk since you're on a budget and may need to skip on certain things. Plus travel out of the country can be difficult and if you run into trouble no one will be able to help you right away.

Bloging is a great way to list everything you see and places you think people should go and for making lists. Vlogging is great because you can SHOW people how much fun you are actually having as you have fun.

Cost and budgets wouldn't be TMI if you are doing it as a errr guru? Travel guru, like on the travel channel they tell people how much things cost and where to find the cheapest/good food in town. As long as it's done in a clean classy way it would be fine. some people are going to be jealous and call you a bragger no matter what, people do that.

You should do episodes because youtube viewers will get bored if trying to watch a 20min video of you talking or they will get irritated that you shoved everything in a 5min clip

It really is a great idea but each trip would have to be very carfully planned out and managed before you even start filming. by making episodes of each trip that should give you time between each trip while people are watching your videos. I would post once a week if I were you. unless you choose to blog then do as you like lol.

hope that helped a bit.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:59 am

Ron_Burgundy wrote:(
- Is this really a good idea?
- Would a blog and a YouTube channel be overkill?
- What should be included in the blog and what should be included in the vlog - where do I draw the line to ensure both are entertaining and informative without being repetitive?
- What would be the best vlog and blog post format?
- Would including costs and budgets be TMI?
- Should each trip be confined to one long video or split into several shorter episodes?
- Am I insane for even contemplating this?

Sounds like a good idea to me :-)

If you want to be a general blog about travelling, you have to look out to not to become to personal. It isn't a blog to keep your family and friends at home up to date, you kno w. ;-)

I think a blog and a channel on YT can be a good combination. Especially if you include the vlogs on your site.
Somethings can be better put in text (for example hot spots) and it's also nice to SHOW how a place looks like.
I guess if you think about yourself, what would you like to have in text format and what you would like to see in a vlog, that you can use that as a guideline to decide what format you choose to put it in. Personally I don't want to look at a person in a vlog who's standing before a hotel or another building and tells me things (the things, you can type out in a blogpost ^^). I want to see short impressions, maybe with added voice over in stead of you always in the picture. It's more about the travel then about you (sorry for this 8-) ;) ).

Wordpress blog with youtube channel?

Including costs and budgets are a MUST!
What do I have when I see a great trip that I would also love to do, when after googling and calculating, I find out it's way too expensive for me? Nothing but frustration ^^.

You could do longer vids, but then I would include a sort of chapters in your video and then put a link to each one in the description (timestamps). To show you what I mean: here's a video about completely something else, but if you click on "show more", you can see how some people tackle this: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1exPL6W7U6M[/youtube] .

If you're insane... I don't know. If you really want to do this, you can always give it a try.
You should follow your dreams..... and if things don't work out as planned, you can always look back and be happy because at least you tried ;-).

I hope I helped you a bit with this answer.
Also sorry: English is not my native language, so sorry for weird sentences and stuff like that ^^

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:00 am

oops.... my bad :o

didn't notice this was an old thread ^^

Did this site come through? :HK:

Return to “Technology”