Currently Working on Content Creation. If you have any ideas you'd like to share, please email us!

Low-Carb/Paleo Lifestyle

Low-Carb/Paleo Lifestyle

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:49 pm

Just to represent another dietary lifestyle choice - personally I'm living a low-carb lifestyle (most of the time, and technically I should say "lower" carb ... I've cut out most added sugars, pasta, bread, starches, etc. from my diet, but not 100%).

low-carb also means high-protein. I get protein from many sources - meat, fish, beans/legumes, etc. Then I also try to eat as many veggies and some fresh fruit, and occasionally allow myself some grains (mostly quinoa, wild rice, barley).

Anyone else living low-carb or even doing the paleo diet?

Re: Low-Carb/Paleo Lifestyle

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Our diets sound quite similar!

I am sugar and wheat free and mostly grain-free. Also don't consume red meats - although I do think grass fed beef can be okay to consume (health wise, morally it is arguable depending on who you talk to). I am, however, opposed to consuming factory farmed and grain-fed animals, both from a health perspective and moral standpoint.

Anyone else living wheat/grain free?

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:41 pm

I think I posted this in another thread somewhere, but I'm trying to stick to a wheat free diet for the next couple of months. One week down! lol. I've had health problems for 2+ years and the symptoms of intolerance are pretty much me in a list. The doctors are beyond useless for me so I thought I'd just try this on my own, I've really got nothing to lose.

I don't know how people can stick to such restrictive diets for any other reason than health, I have terrible self control :oink:

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:30 am

StellaStar wrote:Hello healthy eaters!!

I LOVE the paleo diet. I fell into it naturally--first I quit eating processed food, then I dropped wheat, then I dropped other grains. Switched all my meat (and what little dairy I eat) to grass-fed pastured cows/chickens. Strangely, I don't find it restrictive! I remember back when I used to eat grains and lots of carbs, I was always hungry and feeling sickly. Now I don't even want those things because I know when I eat them, I won't be full.

If anyone is thinking about trying the paleo diet, I'd love to chat about it with you. I'm not out to "convert" anyone--just want everyone to be healthy and feel good :)

Are you doing the full-on paleo diet, or a modified variation? The reason I don't want to do the paleo diet is because it is quite restrictive since a true paleo diet doesn't allow legumes (which I love), and one should only eat vegetables that are ok to eat raw. Some paleo diets I've read also don't allow any sort of processed oil of any kind (how am I supposed to cook my eggs then?).

I also don't like the restriction of coffee and alcohol or sweeteners of any kind except for honey (I use a zero-carb sweetener called Z-sweet, which is primarily made of erythritol, a naturally occurring sugar alcohol).

I love eating low-carb, but I could never go all the way to paleo.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:10 pm

I've gone paleoesque if you will and have not enjoyed lab results this good in a long time. Really got the triglyceride readings into a good range. Low/er carb is the way for me.

Anyone drink bulletproof coffee?

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:32 pm

mirage wrote:I've gone paleoesque if you will and have not enjoyed lab results this good in a long time. Really got the triglyceride readings into a good range. Low/er carb is the way for me.

Anyone drink bulletproof coffee?

What's bulletproof coffee? I generally just enjoy the occasional cup of decaf Folger's.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Bullet proof coffee or tea is basically unsalted grass-fed butter or coconut oil in same. It has heaps of health benefits, provides mental clarity and gives enormous energy as well as keeps you satiated for a few hours.

Many cultures use ghee (clarified butter) and the like to prepare for strenuous actibvity. As an example sherpas use yak butter in tea.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-m ... rning-too/

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:13 pm

mirage wrote:Bullet proof coffee or tea is basically unsalted grass-fed butter or coconut oil in same. It has heaps of health benefits, provides mental clarity and gives enormous energy as well as keeps you satiated for a few hours.

Many cultures use ghee (clarified butter) and the like to prepare for strenuous actibvity. As an example sherpas use yak butter in tea.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-m ... rning-too/

Ok cool. I put coconut oil in my protein smoothies. Not sure I'd like it in coffee though, but I guess I could try it. Thanks!

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:13 am

Then if you already do coconut oil, you are on such a good track already! I had that bullet proof coffee this morning and found I had to save the breakfast (eggs cooked in CO and bacon) for lunch. LOL! I went into the bathroom to do something and found myself rearranging the entire linen closet and my vanity and all the drawers - yeah, it'll get ya going! hahha I've read stories that had people walking miles and doing all sorts of sporting activities to burn off the energy it gives you.

* Note, I have read that decaf is not recommended - just as a note to share with you. Too many chemicals or whatnot.

http://www.benhirshberg.com/1/post/2012 ... f-joe.html

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:51 am

mirage wrote:Then if you already do coconut oil, you are on such a good track already! I had that bullet proof coffee this morning and found I had to save the breakfast (eggs cooked in CO and bacon) for lunch. LOL! I went into the bathroom to do something and found myself rearranging the entire linen closet and my vanity and all the drawers - yeah, it'll get ya going! hahha I've read stories that had people walking miles and doing all sorts of sporting activities to burn off the energy it gives you.

* Note, I have read that decaf is not recommended - just as a note to share with you. Too many chemicals or whatnot.

http://www.benhirshberg.com/1/post/2012 ... f-joe.html

Yeah unfortunately I can't drink regular coffee at all. I have a heart condition and caffeine makes my heart go a million miles an hour (ok, I'm exaggerating here). It just makes me feel so off - I get light headed, nauseous, all sorts of bad stuff. I'll deal with the extra chemicals, because I love the taste of coffee!

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:01 am

Good grief then never do caffeine! It'll make you ill and all :nana: :boing: :eeek:

The main thing is the grass fed butter and CO (some do both at once) You'll do great! You know it's suggested to not take CO in the evening as that can interfere with sleep. It's said to raise the metabolism.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:21 am

I've been on it for the past year and I can definitely say it's been a lifestyle change for me. 30 pounds down and super happy!

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:20 am

I've done low-carb diets on and off for years. I originally started with the Fat Flush Plan almost 10 years ago. I actually lost about 25lbs on that diet (along with going for 30 - 45 min walks daily), but it was really difficult to stick with for a long period of time. Eventually I fell off the wagon and fell back in love with pizza, pasta and all those bad things.

I've tried that diet (at least the 2 week liver detox portion) 2 more times since then, but it was difficult/nearly impossible since by then I was dating my husband and he wasn't joining me on the diet at all and kept insisting we eat out - and at the time it didn't occur to me to try and order low-carb food when I was at a restaurant.

This time around I'm not following any specific plan, just trying to have some common sense about what I should and shouldn't be eating.

I recall the first time I did the Fat Flush Plan, I was super hungry and craving carbs like crazy. I loved when the diet finally let me eat bread again (but only sprouted grain bread, and only 1 slice). This time around I'm not craving carbs as much. I think every time I get back into a low-carb diet, I crave carbs less (although every now and again I do still crave pizza).

The biggest thing that was difficult for me on the Fat Flush plan was not using any salt, and the only sweetener allowed was Stevia (and back then the only brand of Stevia that was available had a very bitter aftertaste). Over the years I've weened myself down from salt a lot, but I still need some in my food. Often I'll even use a salt-alternative (potassium chloride) instead. I realized how much I've dialed back the amount of salt that I use because my husband always seems to need to add more to his food, and when we get invited for dinner at friends, I always find their food tastes over salted.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:21 am

I am working my way through a community health degree right now ( I graduate in may) and I have a question. Those of you that have chosen to, why have you cut out grains? Is it just something that you have found doesn't set well with you, or have you heard about studies about grains having adverse effects? I have not done any research into paleo so I am not judging, I am just interested. I did want to pipe in with a tiny fact that coconut oil is 87% saturated fat, so while there are benefits to consuming it, moderation is definitely the key.

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:25 am

therakel749 wrote:I am working my way through a community health degree right now ( I graduate in may) and I have a question. Those of you that have chosen to, why have you cut out grains? Is it just something that you have found doesn't set well with you, or have you heard about studies about grains having adverse effects? I have not done any research into paleo so I am not judging, I am just interested. I did want to pipe in with a tiny fact that coconut oil is 87% saturated fat, so while there are benefits to consuming it, moderation is definitely the key.

There have been lots of studies to show that processed grains (what you find in bread, pasta, pizza), along with added sugar/sweeteners have a high glycemic impact on the body. This spikes insulin levels and causes the body to convert these carbs to fat.

I wouldn't say I have given up all grains either - I do occasionally eat Quinoa (which, I know, is technically a seed, not a grain), and barley. I try to avoid rice and potatoes because they are also high in starch which also has the same high-glycemic impact.

So at the end of the day, a low-carb lifestyle could also be considered a low-glycemic lifestyle as well.

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:53 pm

No matter what your eating game plan is - this is a MUST see. Two hours long - the BEST two hours you will ever spend for the sake of your heath. Break it up into time chunks if need be... but it is THAT important. Back in the 1900's before man made oils were produced and marketed (as in margarine and canola etc etc - when people used buter and lard) there were practically NO heart attacks - now? It's an epidemic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvKdYUCUca8[/youtube]

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:12 pm

therakel749 wrote:I am working my way through a community health degree right now ( I graduate in may) and I have a question. Those of you that have chosen to, why have you cut out grains? Is it just something that you have found doesn't set well with you, or have you heard about studies about grains having adverse effects? I have not done any research into paleo so I am not judging, I am just interested. I did want to pipe in with a tiny fact that coconut oil is 87% saturated fat, so while there are benefits to consuming it, moderation is definitely the key.

Moderation in everything that's for sure - but coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid that does so much good in the body.

"Did you know that multiple studies on Pacific Island populations who get 30-60% of their total caloric intact from fully saturated coconut oil have all shown nearly non-existent rates of cardiovascular disease?[1]"

"In fact, no evidence exists that the naturally occurring high saturated fat intake had any kind of harmful effect in these populations!
That's not what you expected, is it? Based on 60 years of negative public policy towards naturally occurring saturated fats, you would expect these cultures to be rife with clogged arteries, obesity and heart disease."

"Trans fat was rebuked, debunked, and revealed as the true enemy to good health that it has always been, regardless of what the seed- and vegetable oil shills told the American public for the last half century.

Unfortunately, this rightful vilification of hydrogenated saturated fats has created a lot of confusion regarding naturally occurring saturated fats, including coconut oil.
If one form of saturated fat is bad for you, the argument goes, then all saturated fat must be bad.
Right?
Nothing could be further from the truth!"

Cited from the article included. We've all been sold a false bill of goods re saturated fats. Have you seen the 'Fat Head' DVD? That counters Morgan Spurlock's DVD entitled 'Supersize Me.' 'Fat Head' can be found on HULU.

http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/196879

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... althy.aspx

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:21 pm

Re cutting out grains, I did/do it because I do lower carb. I have not cut it out all together. As I do not have an issue with it, it is not verboten to me. The more I learn about this better way of eating (for me), the more I learn about the foods we eat.

I have cut tofu and corn for the most part due to what I am learning about GMO.

http://todayyesterdayandtomorrow.wordpr ... old-story/

More info on coconut oil.
http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article10612.htm

Also, check out Nutiva (where I purchase a lot of my products.) Very educational.
http://nutiva.com/

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks for all the links and replies :)

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:54 pm

therakel749 wrote:Thanks for all the links and replies :)

YW! My pleasure :bflower:

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Wasn't sure where this fit, but since this is a somewhat low-carb "snack/meal" I thought I'd add it here. I'm enjoying a delicious peanut butter protein smoothie and I thought I'd share the recipe:

• 1/2 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons protein powder
  • 2 teaspoons Z-sweet (or your preferred no carb sweetener)
  • Ice cubes (optional)

Put everything into a blender and blend until smooth.

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:48 pm

When I was in junior high my mom made me put coconut oil on my skin for moisturizer, I also tended to replace butter with it on breakfast muffins because I hate dairy products, what all do you guys use it for? I imagine I could use it to grease a skillet or something.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:36 am

smokaroo27 wrote:When I was in junior high my mom made me put coconut oil on my skin for moisturizer, I also tended to replace butter with it on breakfast muffins because I hate dairy products, what all do you guys use it for? I imagine I could use it to grease a skillet or something.

Right now, all I use it for is fruit & protein smoothies, because adding fat to them helps slow down the body's glycemic response to the sugar in the fruit.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:53 am

This is a pretty interesting read - saw it on Pinterest several months ago.

http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/wp-c ... ut-Oil.pdf

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:09 pm

Now that I actually know what 'Paleo' stands for (Paleolithic, hunting/gathering diet) + the history behind
Paleolithic peoples, I can fully say that a Paleo diet is fairly ridiculous.

Return to “Diet”