We have upgraded to the latest forum software, so we are currently editing styles and testing extensions.

Markiplier - Part 5

Kitten1529
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Markiplier - Part 5

Post by Kitten1529 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:29 am

Chatterbox_380 wrote:What's your opinion on this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0KyzQgM8Kw

I'm not judging Molly, I'm just wondering what others think. I remember during the ex episode, she was one of the people who couldn't understand why some people (like me) were upset that he didn't acknowledge his ex AND etc.

I will admit that I've stopped watching his videos for a while and sometimes I'll watch Jack or the Game Grumps. But her comment that he's kept her alive and that she loves him, again makes me want to scream at my computer. But I've been told I'm a bitch, so thoughts.
I want to throw my two cents into the ring. Yes, my two cents are similar to others', but still different.

I agree that Mark has been through hell of a lot this year. Stalkings, moving, personal al grief, hospital trips, name calling, etc. However, I believe his playthrough style has been changing since 2014 when he moved to LA, and has morphed into current day after November of last year. Yes, he has to act different due to more subscribers and teenage girls, but just because there's more doesn't mean you should stop completely. Honestly, if I was in his shoes, I would just be myself and be who I always have been. Granted maturity and emotional control, but I wouldn't censor myself or hold back just to live up to an image someone set for me.

I do realize that Tumblr has changed his views on social media and being picky about what he says and doesn't say due to being taken out of context and attacked. But if you don't like what he says, then don't watch him. It's that simple. He owes you nothing. All he wants is to make people smile. Hell, what happened to laughing at yourself? It's hard to take offense to something when you can learn to be open minded and make fun of yourself. Sure he's a role model for some, but he never asked for that. That wasn't his intent.

On that note, I admire what Molly had to say, but it goes back to not saying the phrases 'you saved my life', as mean as that sounds. Yes, it's great that happened, and you think it's a compliment to that person. But that's pressure and stress that this person doesn't need. Saying they saved your life puts pressure on them to keep you happy. Having thousands say that would drive moat people nuts.

Tl;Dr do I think Mark has changed? Yes. Is it justified? Yes and no. Will he go back to his old self? Maybe some, but not 100%. He can get back to his old play style and reply to comments, but as far as being open about every little thing, not gonna happen.

AquarianHorse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:04 am

Mark is nice and sure he can make you happy but i wouldnt say he saved my life either. We dont know each other personally. I had a friend long time ago say, she looked up to me,was her role model. THAT made me uncomfortable. So I can understand if Mark feels pressured and everything. I hope knows he doesn't have to go to cons, etc. if he doesn't want to. It's nice he said he wants to meet each of us but eh...from the way the fans act most of the time, if I were him I wouldn't want to. Not to be mean but some fans are crazy.

Kitten1529
Learner
Learner

Post by Kitten1529 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:31 am

AquarianHorse wrote:Mark is nice and sure he can make you happy but i wouldnt say he saved my life either. We dont know each other personally. I had a friend long time ago say, she looked up to me,was her role model. THAT made me uncomfortable. So I can understand if Mark feels pressured and everything. I hope knows he doesn't have to go to cons, etc. if he doesn't want to. It's nice he said he wants to meet each of us but eh...from the way the fans act most of the time, if I were him I wouldn't want to. Not to be mean but some fans are crazy.
I think it all centers on the fine line between being sincere and being genuine. Yes, some fans are crazy teenage girls, or just crazy in general. They're still fans of his work. To not go to a convention because some fans do questionable things doesn't mean you should exclude yourself from all your fans. I think Mark should be himself and not be afraid to offend someone by being who he is. However, he still needs to be sincere when it comes to showing he still cares about the people that support him.

AquarianHorse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:37 am

Oh, I didn't mean he shouldn't go to cons because of crazy fans but he doesn't have to go to all if he is feeling too stressed and overwhelmed :) I do agree that Mark should be himself and everything though :D It is great he does care for all of his fans though :)

kei
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kei » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:54 am

Kierans! ::waves:: I was wondering where you went. I hope life gives you a breather for a while. <3

I admit I haven't been viewing Mark's tumblr tag lately. Like at all. So I have no idea what's going on regarding the anon hate. But Mark's fans are probably considered a good target to begin with since many of them are young, suffer anxiety issues, and take tumblr seriously. (That's not a dig at them, just an observation.) That's a dream come true for trolls. My worry is if someone takes it seriously enough that it impacts their sense of self-worth, or even their life. That's when hate turns deadly.

As for the video...well, I get where she's coming from, and yeah I agree he's a completely different person now than he was then, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. He's grown into his channel, from a 23-year-old kid seeking approval to a 26-year-old man who has a much better grasp on his creativity and what it can do. His power and influence on Youtube has grown exponentially since he started, and he's constantly being compared to Pewdiepie not because of his content but because Felix is the only gamer on Youtube who's more famous right now. Mark has stayed remarkably humble through it all, and I think that's partly because his current popularity confuses him.

But that doesn't invalidate Miss Molly's feelings at all, nor the feelings of the others who feel that way. People who watch Youtubers inevitably grow attached to them after a while. Still, I cringed when she did the whole "you changed my life, what happened to you?" thing, because that shifts the focus onto the person saying it. It's like saying "you contributed to something positive in my life, how dare you betray me by not being exactly like the image I created of you?" I'm not judging Molly by any means, mind you, but he's already commented more than once just how much pressure he feels when people tell him that. To them, they're used to seeing that 23-year-old who only wanted to make people smile, before he "changed". Before L.A., before the breakup, before the stalking, before the accusations of rape and transmisogyny. Before 10 million subscribers. Before the fandom tore itself in two, before him withdrawing into himself for the sake of his own sanity.

Before Daniel.

I compare it to being on a roller coaster where there are no safety protocols put into place, no speed control, and you're not sure if your destination will be the same platform as where you departed. Once you hit that accelerator, there's legit no way to know where you're going or what to do once you get there, or if you're going to fall out because it's going too fast. Considering he didn't plan on doing this as a full-time job originally, he's done a fair job of juggling his ever-increasing schedule with his increasingly demanding subscriber base.

Like the others here I've been less than enthusiastic about his recent videos, but that doesn't mean he's changed. It means he's stretched himself to the breaking point, which is partly why I wasn't surprised when he mentioned the heart attack. (And I won't claim to understand his medical history, but judging from my own family's medical history of heart disease, I will say the drinking was more likely to have made an already-developing situation worse rather than cause it entirely.) He's doing his best to stay on top of it all, and IMO that's why we're seeing these random one-offs that remind him of when life was easier. They're faster to make, and he can leave all the editing to Matt. So yeah he's changed, but that doesn't mean he's going to pull away forever. People keep trying to find themselves inside of him, and get disappointed when he's still trying to find himself.
I've made a board you guys can go to whenever GG is down and you want to stay in touch with the Markiplier or Jacksepticeye community. Just don't expect anything fancy. :P
http://ggrefugees.forumotion.com/

AquarianHorse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:18 am

Off topic: GG needs to get a new server..it's being an ass as always..

Yeah I rarely go into the tumblr tag myself :P Mostly hear bad stuff about tumblr anyway, I'm sure there are probably some good parts of tumblr.

I do hope Mark can find some peace and get things settled and everything and can do let's plays again or whatever he wants to do of course. Some of the flash games are okay he played, but games like the douche ones I just roll my eyes at and not bother with. I will say man he is really committed to his channel and keeps going. I don't know how anyone does it really D:

I always see one comment in comments on Mark's videos saying "Mark is better than Pewdiepie" etc. and what not. Not sure why they compare the two? I don't watch Pewdiepie,. I have heard Pewdiepie has become more stuck up but I don't know if that's true. Just saying what I heard others say.

I have been thinking though, I feel like Mark is less annoying at times now than he was back when he was 23 playing games. Some of the videos he did like dupstep of him screaming or something was just annoying and a bit obnoxious. I forget the videos but there were a couple of stupid videos he did that I just stopped after a few seconds of watching. (I didn't mind too much of him staring into the camera, creepy as it was).

Loved your talk about the roller coaster bit :) Life is like a roller coaster I like to think to myself. Ups, downs, twist, turns, etc.

Now I think of it, is Mark actually happy still doing videos and stuff? I mean he even said he's all stressed but is he happy and still love doing it?

Gorillaz1236
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Gorillaz1236 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:10 am

Damn, shit happens everytime I log out. But to sum up my feelings, Mark has changed. Both for the good and not so good. Fame, accusations and trauma can do something to a person. The livestream with the grumps, I saw someone who was hiding something. The way he was clutching that stuffed animal. No, I'm not saying MRk is broken but he faces the negative effects of his position and him being human, processes it in ways I can't describ.

@Kei and Monkeebutt, I was planning ion creating a disclaimer about Mark and Friends to go with the FAQ. Shall I do that? Because what Molly said sums up what I wish to put as a disclaimer.

M0nkeeButt2590
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by M0nkeeButt2590 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:30 am

Gorillaz1236 wrote:Damn, shit happens everytime I log out. But to sum up my feelings, Mark has changed. Both for the good and not so good. Fame, accusations and trauma can do something to a person. The livestream with the grumps, I saw someone who was hiding something. The way he was clutching that stuffed animal. No, I'm not saying MRk is broken but he faces the negative effects of his position and him being human, processes it in ways I can't describ.

@Kei and Monkeebutt, I was planning ion creating a disclaimer about Mark and Friends to go with the FAQ. Shall I do that? Because what Molly said sums up what I wish to put as a disclaimer.
I'd say go ahead and do it. That FAQ hasn't gotten much love lately and it seems newcomers skip it entirely when entering the thread, so maybe boosting it to the top helps.

Yeah I completely pushed out the "saved my life" and "I love you" messages from Molly's video, just because I'm so sick of hearing it. Mark doesn't like the hero worship stuff. He didn't save your life, YOU did. YOU chose to have the courage to stop yourself. Mark had nothing to do with it. And he certainly didn't cure you of your health problems. Stop putting unnecessary pressure on him by telling him that he's the only reason you're alive. He can't be your coping mechanism forever.

AquarianHorse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:40 am

Exactly. Yes, he makes you feel good, save you from depression or cured it? Nope. It's like same thing with anti depressants, sure they help, but it's up to you to do the work to get well.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

AquarianHorse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:37 pm

lol...people being butt hurt that Mark doesn't like Pokemon...

http://www.deviantart.com/browse/all/jo ... markiplier Yay Journals!

I didn't find what he said about Pokemon or offensive or anything. Don't fault him for not knowing all the games, etc. He just isn't into Pokemon.

fishnchippychips
Learner
Learner

Post by fishnchippychips » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:56 pm

AquarianHorse wrote:lol...people being butt hurt that Mark doesn't like Pokemon...

I didn't find what he said about Pokemon or offensive or anything. Don't fault him for not knowing all the games, etc. He just isn't into Pokemon.
I can't believe people are actually mad at him for that, like I love pokemon I'm a huge fan of those games, but even I know that they're very formulaic and he probably isn't missing out on much except better graphics by not playing more recent ones :lol:

And I really enjoyed the Lurking video earlier, that's more the kind of content I love seeing from him rather than flash games, I guess he had more time to record today (once he tore himself away from fallout 4 and battlefront that is haha)

MapleNia
Talker
Talker

Post by MapleNia » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:19 pm

fishnchippychips wrote:
AquarianHorse wrote:lol...people being butt hurt that Mark doesn't like Pokemon...

I can't believe people are actually mad at him for that, like I love pokemon I'm a huge fan of those games, but even I know that they're very formulaic and he probably isn't missing out on much except better graphics by not playing more recent ones :lol:

And I really enjoyed the Lurking video earlier, that's more the kind of content I love seeing from him rather than flash games, I guess he had more time to record today (once he tore himself away from fallout 4 and battlefront that is haha)
Personally, I used to love Pokemon. I watched the first generation and some movies, I played a few of them, but it kind of got repetitive and boring. I don't know every Pokemon game and I like some of the Pokemon (up to 3rd generation), but I lost interest. So, I'm kind of the same opinion as Mark (not entirely).

As for the Lurker video, I ENJOYED it. Oh man. I really loved the idea of using a microphone and the sound to go around. The only thing that made me fall asleep a bit is Mark's voice, because, ...woah. Plus, I only slept 4 hours so that doesn't help hahaha. And the content of the video is really good, I think he had nice commentaries in there.

It's cool that he is enjoying games off of Youtube. It's like Jack said (in his last RYC vid I think), at least it doesn't become a chore to play video game and he gets to enjoy playing video games. So, Mark can still enjoy some personal time and just sit down and play video games. And of course, there's a lot of people that wants to post a video about those games, especially Fallout 4, but what can we do.. It would have been interesting, but the man seems to want to play it on his own time soo :tu:
"All for one and one for all; united we stand, divided we fall."
Alexandre Dumas, The Three Musketeers

M0nkeeButt2590
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by M0nkeeButt2590 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:38 pm

It's just the perpetually offended come back to whine because someone online doesn't like the same things they do, which automatically makes it a personal attack in their oversensitive childish minds.

If he doesn't like Pokemon, so what? Enjoy what you like, let Mark enjoy what he likes, and shut the fuck up. End of story.

That Lurking video was interesting, both in terms of mechanics and Mark's commentary. He could do ASMR, his soft deep voice is nice to relax to, and he doesn't need a fancy $500 microphone specially made to do it. Hell the one Cyndago did for a sketch was ASMR done right as well, though I sadly think that was Daniel's handiwork over anyone else.

It's good he's able to enjoy some games off of Youtube. Honestly with the site getting over-saturated with Fallout 4 LPs, I'm fine not seeing him play it. Let him have some time to himself, he barely gets that as it is nowadays.

AquarianHorse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Speaking of Daniel, did anyone hear this song he wrote? :O https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U5Lwiwdn3g The song is pretty (the background music). Interesting lyrics :) Music is a good way to express yourself :) A more humorous video, I came across this about the miracles of life (A Cyndago video.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_J0WBVTISo Daniel did have a good singing voice :D

The lurking video was interesting :) Pretty cool how the game worked! Mark does have a nice deep voice :D He'd be good at ASMR :D When I saw the vid of Mark talking about it I did look it up on youtube. Interesting :) I never actually practiced it or anything, just wanted to see what it was about :P

We all need time for ourselves, glad Mark was able to get some :)

Return to “Markiplier”