We have upgraded to the latest forum software, so we are currently editing styles and testing extensions.

Markiplier - Part 2

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Markiplier - Part 2

Post by Kierans » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:01 pm

M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:It's interesting how he says he didn't like band but he wants to pursue a career in music... which is even stranger since he's openly said he doesn't listen to music that much.

From what I've seen, being in a concert or marching band or an orchestra is a bit different from being a solo musician (which I'm assuming he wants to do). Both require tons of dedication. But as a solo musician, you have a bit more independence. You're the one responsible for putting your name out there, you're the one responsible for writing your own music or cover songs, you can choose when you want to practice. But when you're in an orchestra or band, you're supposed to listen to the conductor regarding the music you perform, and you need to follow your ensemble's performance and travel schedules. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the solo musician part. I've only had second-hand experience in that area. :)

Plus, depending on the instrument you play, the band/orchestra world can be rough even in high school (especially if you try qualifying for state ensembles and the like), which may have turned him off to that whole scene.

In what video did he say he doesn't listen to music much, or was that in a livestream?

M0nkeeButt2590
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by M0nkeeButt2590 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:05 pm

Kierans wrote:
M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:It's interesting how he says he didn't like band but he wants to pursue a career in music... which is even stranger since he's openly said he doesn't listen to music that much.

From what I've seen, being in a concert or marching band or an orchestra is a bit different from being a solo musician (which I'm assuming he wants to do). Both require tons of dedication. But as a solo musician, you have a bit more independence. You're the one responsible for putting your name out there, you're the one responsible for writing your own music or cover songs, you can choose when you want to practice. But when you're in an orchestra or band, you're supposed to listen to the conductor regarding the music you perform, and you need to follow your ensemble's performance and travel schedules. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the solo musician part. I've never had experience in that area.

Plus, depending on the instrument you play, the band/orchestra world can be rough even in high school (especially if you try qualifying for state ensembles and the like), which may have turned him off to that whole scene.

In what video did he say he doesn't listen to music much, or was that in a livestream?

He's spoken up about that in various videos and livestreams that he doesn't listen to music much. He even mentioned it in the podcast he did with Cyndago.

Dragonmax
Informer
Informer

Post by Dragonmax » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:56 pm

M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:He's spoken up about that in various videos and livestreams that he doesn't listen to music much. He even mentioned it in the podcast he did with Cyndago.

Yes he said so in the Element4l video, which I think was the first time he said it.

Like Mark, I think there's something about classical music / soundtrack scores that just sticks so much better than other genres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My purpose on Guru Gossip is partici...

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:08 pm

Dragonmax wrote:
M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:He's spoken up about that in various videos and livestreams that he doesn't listen to music much. He even mentioned it in the podcast he did with Cyndago.

Yes he said so in the Element4l video, which I think was the first time he said it.

Like Mark, I think there's something about classical music / soundtrack scores that just sticks so much better than other genres.

Okay yeah, I do remember him mentioning classical music in that video now. Silly me to forget that. :rofl: And I agree, soundtrack music is awesome. :tu:

DeathToAllSpiders
Talker
Talker

Post by DeathToAllSpiders » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:02 am

This might be too off-topic, but since we're chatting about stuff Mark likes/doesn't like, has anyone else ever read The Martian by Andy Wier? Mark mentioned that it's one of his favorite books, and I picked it up a few days ago.

Plot Synopsis: An engineer named Mark gets stranded on Mars by himself, where he meets the challenge of surviving solo for four years against impossible with a shit-ton of creative engineering, and a sense of humor that refuses to die every bit as stubbornly as he does.

I'm not quite finished with it, but I can honestly say that it's made my Top 20 Favorite Books List already - and there are A LOT of books competing for spots on that list. If anyone's read it, I'd be really interesting to know what they thought.

Edit: Is anyone else having trouble seeing the new posts in this thread? I had to reload the page a bunch of times before I could see my own message.

M0nkeeButt2590
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by M0nkeeButt2590 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:16 am

DeathToAllSpiders wrote:This might be too off-topic, but since we're chatting about stuff Mark likes/doesn't like, has anyone else ever read The Martian by Andy Wier? Mark mentioned that it's one of his favorite books, and I picked it up a few days ago.

Plot Synopsis: An engineer named Mark gets stranded on Mars by himself, where he meets the challenge of surviving solo for four years against impossible with a shit-ton of creative engineering, and a sense of humor that refuses to die every bit as stubbornly as he does.

I'm not quite finished with it, but I can honestly say that it's made my Top 20 Favorite Books List already - and there are A LOT of books competing for spots on that list. If anyone's read it, I'd be really interesting to know what they thought.

Edit: Is anyone else having trouble seeing the new posts in this thread? I had to reload the page a bunch of times before I could see my own message.

You're not the only one. I've been having glitches myself, between not seeing new posts, the site unable to decide if I'm logged in or not even with the box checked to automatically sign me in, and my pm box having trouble deciding whether I deleted something or not. Sent a ticket, but who knows when they'll get to it.

Back on topic, it's kinda funny that Mark likes a book where the protagonist not only shares his first name, but is in the field he was studying to become. :rofl:

kei
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kei » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:26 am

M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:
DeathToAllSpiders wrote:This might be too off-topic, but since we're chatting about stuff Mark likes/doesn't like, has anyone else ever read The Martian by Andy Wier? Mark mentioned that it's one of his favorite books, and I picked it up a few days ago.

You're not the only one. I've been having glitches myself, between not seeing new posts, the site unable to decide if I'm logged in or not even with the box checked to automatically sign me in, and my pm box having trouble deciding whether I deleted something or not. Sent a ticket, but who knows when they'll get to it.

Back on topic, it's kinda funny that Mark likes a book where the protagonist not only shares his first name, but is in the field he was studying to become. :rofl:

Not to mention it takes place on Mars, and he's outright said he doesn't care if he never made it back to Earth if it meant he got to explore space. :P

Also I thought it was just my computer. Good to know it isn't.
I've made a board you guys can go to whenever GG is down and you want to stay in touch with the Markiplier or Jacksepticeye community. Just don't expect anything fancy. :P
http://ggrefugees.forumotion.com/

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:00 am

The site's been acting up for me, too. :x I have to refresh multiple times to see any new posts.

Haven't read that book yet, but I am reading another one about Mars, where a group of people are sent to terraform the planet. Red Mars. I didn't know the protagonist of The Martian was also named Mark. :rofl: Also funny since his name is derived from Mars.

Not sure if anyone said this already, but (according to someone responding to his tweet about his back) he apparently hurt his back at Vidcon when a fan ran up and glomped him. :roll: Boundaries, man...you need them.

CleverUsername
Lurker
Lurker

Post by CleverUsername » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:57 am

I just saw am arrival for a game coming out with a plot very similar to that. It's called adr1ft and looks pretty neat so far. I'm not sure if it would make a good lp though as one of the main aspects of the game is about total isolation. Doing commentary on a game such as that would break the immersion. Link. http://hbnbm.com/video-games/video-game ... eep-space/
I guess this is my life now...

CleverUsername
Lurker
Lurker

Post by CleverUsername » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:43 am

I can't edit previous posts apparently, but "am arrival" is meant to say "an article". Autocorrect is not my friend...
I guess this is my life now...

shyguyflys
Informer
Informer

Post by shyguyflys » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:59 am

That is a damn good book. 10/10. I can't wait for the movie. Mark has good taste (in my opinion) in books if that is one of his favorites.

Also, yep. I've been glitching like crazy since yesterday. New messages won't update properly, as well as new posts on boards. Send in a ticket to the proper forum with the tech admins because some of the moderators cannot help you with the issue.

DeathToAllSpiders
Talker
Talker

Post by DeathToAllSpiders » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:14 am

kei wrote:
M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:

Not to mention it takes place on Mars, and he's outright said he doesn't care if he never made it back to Earth if it meant he got to explore space. :P

Also I thought it was just my computer. Good to know it isn't.

The similarities don't end there, either. Protagonist Mark is super-independent. He actively enjoys problem-solving challenges that would make most people's brains explode. He cracks boob jokes while simultaneously MacGyvering his way out of panic-inducing situations that could kill him any second. His narrative style is so creepily familiar that I dare any Markiplier fan not to read it in his voice.

Good to know the glitch thing isn't some stupid thing that I'm doing! Hope things start running more smoothly soon, my free classes wouldn't be the same without you people.

Edit: @shyguyflys There's gonna be a movie?! Booya! Thanks for the heads up, I'm'll go read all about it right now!

DeathToAllSpiders
Talker
Talker

Post by DeathToAllSpiders » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:23 am

CleverUsername wrote:I just saw am arrival for a game coming out with a plot very similar to that. It's called adr1ft and looks pretty neat so far. I'm not sure if it would make a good lp though as one of the main aspects of the game is about total isolation. Doing commentary on a game such as that would break the immersion. Link. http://hbnbm.com/video-games/video-game ... eep-space/

This sounds REALLY interesting to me, and if Mark doesn't play it, I'll have to get it myself.The original Amnesia game will always be my favorite because of that isolated game play experience. I loved Kholat for the same reason.

And overall, I enjoy watching Mark play games in this theme. Presentable Liberty isn't made for a LP-style experience either, but his immersion made up for it. I hope he at least considers this title, I bet he could do something interesting with it.

PsychGrad0317
Talker
Talker

Post by PsychGrad0317 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:20 pm

Same here. Apparently there are too many guests and it's bogging down the server. The board has been a mess for me for the past few days.

Anyone catch the tweet about him shooting a pilot? Wonder what that's all about...
Status update: Studying...Mostly. Sometimes. Except, you know, when I'm not.

kei
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kei » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:33 pm

Can't help think it's a legit web series or something. I kind of figured he'd be into that, being the creative type in L.A. and all.

Maybe not, could just be a one-off, but I think others here have already said how he knows he can't live off LPs forever.
I've made a board you guys can go to whenever GG is down and you want to stay in touch with the Markiplier or Jacksepticeye community. Just don't expect anything fancy. :P

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:53 pm

I'd be interested in seeing him in a web series as long as the actors/storyline aren't completely terrible. Like...a sequel to The Guild!

boldnewtaste
Debater
Debater

Post by boldnewtaste » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:37 pm

kei wrote:Can't help think it's a legit web series or something. I kind of figured he'd be into that, being the creative type in L.A. and all.

Maybe not, could just be a one-off, but I think others here have already said how he knows he can't live off LPs forever.

could very well be! is this the beginning of the end? DUN DUN DUN
(and of course, since it's specifically a pilot, it doesn't mean it'll go anywhere for sure)

[ R o ]
Lurker
Lurker

Post by [ R o ] » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:56 pm

I'm a bit late to the party, but I thought the marching band video was really cool. Where I live, high schools don't have marching bands, so to actually see it in action was amazing. The amount of practice those kinds of performances must take... dayum :o .

I'm also curious about the pilot.

Chatterbox_380
Talker
Talker

Post by Chatterbox_380 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:08 pm

I'm definitely going to checkout the book since you guys have faved about it.

P.S,

who else is from ONTD?

Because I'm from there originally but I came here to grow . . . and make fun of kailyn Marie.
*current game I'm playing* Sim3. (Don't judge me!)

10 inch dicks are like communism.

Great in theory,
terrible in real life.

Dragonmax
Informer
Informer

Post by Dragonmax » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:38 pm

Chatterbox_380 wrote:who else is from ONTD?

Because I'm from there originally but I came here to grow . . . and make fun of kailyn Marie.

I used to hang there but I got so sick of the SJWs who'd often complain about white people there. Most of the Tumblrinas came there during the open membership and now they're always trying to make every thing PC.

As for Mark's pilot, I hope it gets picked up! I really want to see his acting aside from those skits in his channel that I wasn't really fond of. (But I love the one where he and Matthias "play a game called 'Real Life'".)

frogert
Informer
Informer

Post by frogert » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:24 pm

Dragonmax wrote:
Chatterbox_380 wrote:who else is from ONTD?

I used to hang there but I got so sick of the SJWs who'd often complain about white people there. Most of the Tumblrinas came there during the open membership and now they're always trying to make every thing PC.

As for Mark's pilot, I hope it gets picked up! I really want to see his acting aside from those skits in his channel that I wasn't really fond of. (But I love the one where he and Matthias "play a game called 'Real Life'".)

Iv noticed that about how SJW they are!! and their hateon for certain celebs gets fucking tiring and plain annoying, like people who aggressively and joyfully hate on people are equal, if not more annoying then those peoples stans tbh, I never contributed or anything, just lurked.

Hes either doing something for tv or a web series or is literally "shooting a pilot" for a skit. I'm feeling the latter purely because I'm sure shooting an actual pilot would take longer then a morning.

"Everyone thought I was being a bitch, when all I was doing was being brutally honest" - Santana Lopez :love2:

kei
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kei » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:43 pm

frogert wrote:Hes either doing something for tv or a web series or is literally "shooting a pilot" for a skit. I'm feeling the latter purely because I'm sure shooting an actual pilot would take longer then a morning.

True...even though he says he doesn't like puns, he'd definitely be the kind of person to make a literal pun like that. :P I originally thought it was a web series since there are some really short ones these days, but it could easily go either way.

Dragonmax
Informer
Informer

Post by Dragonmax » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:07 pm

frogert wrote:Iv noticed that about how SJW they are!! and their hateon for certain celebs gets fucking tiring and plain annoying, like people who aggressively and joyfully hate on people are equal, if not more annoying then those peoples stans tbh, I never contributed or anything, just lurked.

Hes either doing something for tv or a web series or is literally "shooting a pilot" for a skit. I'm feeling the latter purely because I'm sure shooting an actual pilot would take longer then a morning.

Not only do they hate on certain celebs so hard, they will always play devil's advocates and defend actually shitty female celebrities just because they have a vagina. Basically, very misinformed radfeminism occurs there. I'm glad I got out of that mess, and I'm sad that I joined them when the SJWs dominated the place.

As for the pilot, I saw his Instagram post with Ninja Brian. So I guess it's something for Ninja Sex Party?

FatPrincess
Talker
Talker

Post by FatPrincess » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:44 pm

I haven't been on ONTD in years! I miss the LiveJournal hay days.

I'm halfway through The Martian, but I've had it for months. It's a bit too technical for me, but I love the main character.

DeathToAllSpiders
Talker
Talker

Post by DeathToAllSpiders » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:42 am

FatPrincess wrote:I haven't been on ONTD in years! I miss the LiveJournal hay days.

I'm halfway through The Martian, but I've had it for months. It's a bit too technical for me, but I love the main character.

I got a bit overwhelmed with the technical stuff in places, too (holy crap, him and those damned potatoes, for example). You can afford to skim a bit, but even the technical stuff can be pretty hysterical in places.

Also, anyone mind filling me in on what ONTD is? I'm not one of the cool kids when it comes to social media stuff.

Return to “Markiplier”