We have upgraded to the latest forum software, so we are currently editing styles and testing extensions.

Markiplier FAQ

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Markiplier FAQ

Post by Kierans » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:55 am

Does Mark have a girlfriend?

He did, and he tried to keep it secret for the entirety of their relationship (2013-2015). She was first brought to light thanks to one of his former Twitch mods, who posted the story below:

Also here: http://markiplites-unite.tumblr.com/pos ... w-the-sole

Currently, she has a Youtube channel, Saucy Cosplays, that has achieved a rapid sub boost thanks to his admission yesterday of their prior relationship and subsequent promotion of her channel below:

http://markiplier.tumblr.com/post/12661 ... er-but-its

Why do you care if he was dating anyone?

I'll copy others who explained it better than me.

kei wrote:[...] But if it's mainly about his relationship with Jess, everyone (well, everyone who saw the quadzillion photos of him using her pillows/stuffed animals/shirt) already knew they were living together at one point, and saw from her tweets in January exactly when they broke up. It's not really a surprise to anyone here. And then Jess herself came here to supposedly "clear the air" about things, but given the fact she wasn't allowed to outright say if they'd been together once, it didn't help all that much. Still, she did make it pretty clear that she had been his gf once without ever using the word "girlfriend".

The primary issue people had with the whole issue is that he went out of his way to hide the fact he was taken, back during a period in his career where that unusual level of secrecy was unnecessary and almost disturbing. And when evidence presented itself, people were hoping for him to say anything, even a simple "fuck off leave me alone", rather than the carefully crafted wall of silence around him. That's when folks started feeling uneasy. He pretends to be so open about his life, yet acted like a bachelor his entire time on Youtube when he was taken for 2/3 of that time. And when his fans put 2 and 2 together, he stayed totally silent.

Mark has built much of his Markiplier persona on an aura of transparency and availability. When people began to see it wasn't the case, he shut down and withdrew from the questions, allowing the tumblr bullies to take over and protect their "precious cinnamon roll". That is the exact moment this perfect storm started brewing. It was compounded when Mark finally did say something, because he sent over 6000 people to Jess' Youtube channel to subscribe for no legit reason except "hey we used to date, and I still like her". That rubbed people the wrong way, especially since Jess has quite specifically stated she wanted to be known for her own efforts instead of just being Markiplier's ex.

A lot of people were driven here from tumblr when his more oblivious fans and "white knights" bullied them out of the Markiplier tag for asking the forbidden gf question. (Or, like me, when he broke down in the 8 million video and no one one tumblr seemed to get that it wasn't normal, even for him.)

[...] that's the gist of why some people are hurt over it. Unfortunately tumblr is only seeing the topmost surface layer of the issue and are shooting their collective mouth off without getting the actual facts. And in this case, that's almost entirely Mark's fault.

M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:Jess was originally a fangirl and ended up becoming one of Mark's moderators on Twitch. They met in person at SDCC 2013 and talked some time online before that. Eventually they started dating mid 2013 and moved in together around August 2014. They broke up at the beginning of 2015 for whatever reason, in which she became suicidal over it and ended up in the hospital. But they seem to have reconciled and are friends, though considering this sudden promotion, we get the feeling they are back together or thinking of getting back together.

For the sake of privacy (supposedly) the relationship was kept a secret even though she apparently helped him with his sketches and video editing during the time they were together. But from her behavior on social media, it's obvious she wanted the relationship to be known and he didn't.

Then there was a post on Tumblr by a head moderator calling the two out and claimed Jess hated the mods and hated the fandom as a whole, in particular because around the time they were together in Dodger's Disneyland vlog Mark suddenly and without warning cut off all ties to his Twitch mods other than Wade, Bob, and Molly. Whether that's true or not has yet to be determined, but he did cut off ties with his mods for no explained reason. [...]

Here's the Disneyland vlog of Dodger's. She's the girl next to Mark at the beginning:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRUeCdCmM2Y[/youtube]

NOTE: this is not a discussion thread. Feel free to add any other frequent questions and answers before this thread gets locked.

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Markiplier FAQ

Post by Kierans » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:10 am

Cheez-its girl

A girl wanted to give Mark Cheez-its at a con last year (I think?), which he turned down. This prompted her to post on Tumblr about it. Her original post, blog, and his response have been deleted, but someone else reblogged them below.

Snapchat debacle

From earlier this year. It was hard to find information on this one since so much has been deleted, but if you feel like reading, the Markiplier subreddit covered it pretty well, I think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Markiplier/com ... ged_abuse/

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:59 am

Transmisogyny accusations
This person put together a very long post about what went on. I snipped everything out except for the timeline.

His apology is here: http://markiplier.tumblr.com/post/12049 ... ue-apology

The Forest
While playing The Forest with Jacksepticeye, he and Mark started discussing gender equality, which some people thought implied that they were being sexist. Starts around 2:40.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IzkH6ggOHQ[/youtube]

His apology is here: http://markiplier.tumblr.com/post/105014466420/equality

Okay, I think those are all of the things that usually get brought up about him, right?

NOTE: I’ll add that this is all gathered from our somewhat limited perspective as fans. Some of what is said here MAY BE INCORRECT. Some of this may also change over time. This is all just to give people an idea of what we’re talking about. :)

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:28 am

One more thing. We also sometimes reference the two podcasts that Mark was a guest on below. :)

Ear Biscuits podcast with Rhett and Link: https://soundcloud.com/earbiscuits/ep-6 ... r-biscuits

BroKen podcast with Felix and Ken: https://soundcloud.com/brokenpodcast/do ... e-manboobs

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:50 pm

And another thing! I only took a couple of screenshots of reblogs of this one.

Racism accusation

His original post is here: http://markiplier.tumblr.com/post/12625 ... s-no-chill

For the record, I think all or almost all of us here agreed with him...

Dragonmax
Informer
Informer

Post by Dragonmax » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:00 pm

Why do you guys hate Jess so much? I don't get it.
Do you guys hate Mark?

Hate is such a strong word to describe our general feelings towards Jess, and no we're actually fans of Mark but we don't participate in his fan base's social media communities for lots of reasons.

Here's two explanations on why lots of GG users dislike Jess, and it was posted on the 5th part of the Markiplier's Relationships thread:

kei wrote:From what I've seen there hasn't been a tremendous amount of hate here directed at her, though I won't pretend it doesn't exist. The majority on GG don't hate her, they're just tired of her bullshit at repeatedly trolling his fanbase when she claims not to hold anything againt them, then feigning innocence at her own incendiary actions (the photos, the "I don't know what you mean OuO" tumblr reply, and the latest screenshot of a private conversation.)

The fire was given fuel when Mark's post made it sound like all the photos, videos, and coincidentally-timed tweets were just "nasty rumors" people spent endless nights searching for when they were actually right there on the surface for the world to see. He then went on to tell his subscribers to go subscribe to her, without any explanation other then the highly suspect "it would mean the world to me". Who does that? Someone who's emotionally needy...and yes, abusive. That is when people started losing their shit.

So yeah, you'll see Jess isn't even the focal point here. The hate ironically didn't come from GG, it came from anons who were posting things to those tumblr blogs. A lot of us took issue with the hateful language being used on Squid's blog in particular, because many of us felt that language was also abusive. People were just getting annoyed at Jess' increasingly desperate grab for attention by tagging him in her latest screencap less than a month after telling GG she wanted to stand on her own two feet and be acknowledged for her own work. No one had a problem that she dated him before, they had a problem that she seems to be riding his coattails at the same time she's claiming that she isn't. Her behavior has been consistently defensive and passive-aggressive as she troll-baits his audience, which in turn makes an impression that's less than favorable. She's not the devil, but she's not anywhere near the innocent lamb she likes to portray herself as.

Dragonmax wrote:Opinions on Jess in this subforum vary a lot. But after her apperance here and the other events that transpired, there is more criticism than praise. Hate is such a strong word to use, actually... One of the times I'd use "hate" is during situations like people doxxing SquidBeatz's personal information and ruining her life.

So pre-Jess's arrival we all had opinions that were like on a spectrum varying from utter dislike to genuine like. When she came in here, she sounded cordial at first and mentioned she was here for her own thread (in the N-Z of the NonGuru forum), her works and not her personal life. After answering a couple of questions there, she then proceeded to the Markiplier's Relationships Part 3 thread and it was the first time she contradicted her word. (Here for her career then she proceeds to her ex's thread.) She offered to answer questions about her and Mark, but didn't really deliver any actual answer at all. Then she came back in the 4th thread and it was more chaotic because her number one fan joined her. (Said number one fan often complained in the Markiplier forum about the gossip surrounding Jess.) Number One Fan was just a plain asshole. Anyway, mods had to intervene. It was that bad. Then she put an end to it with her master post, which clarified some issues like her GAD and how she wants to be her own person, her professional life separate from Mark's realm, among other topics. We thanked her for that...

Then two weeks later Mark posted The Post, and Jess's channel boosted to 8.7K subscriptions because of that. She contradicted her own word and it was that most of these subscribers know her as "Markiplier's ex". And she brags about it, being an Ascended Fangirl and in a status most Markiplier fangirls/boys could dream of. So much for claiming to be a separate person of her own when that happened. Her credibility has gone down the drain and it's hard to believe her word right after what she told us and what happened after that. Actions speak louder than words.

(Also I don't think this has been brought up yet. SuperMaryFace complained about Guru Gossip on Twitter. Guess who replied? Jess. She shared her sentiments in two tweets.)

Did I mention she's an SJW and she's proud of it?

TL;DR of this TL;DR: Jess contradicted herself a lot. She posted a wall of text that finally explained things, and then Mark's admission happened. And someone correct me if I got a detail wrong or whatever. Also, SJW.

Yeah I typed this all on my phone. #SkillsforProfessionalExperience
My purpose on Guru Gossip is partici...

Dragonmax
Informer
Informer

Post by Dragonmax » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:58 am

Why is the Markiplier fandom toxic? Why all the criticism on the fandom?

For a community that Mark intended to be helpful and for the better good, the fans have turned into a mob whose definition of "true fan" means that you have to join the same approach of support they have when it comes to supporting Markiplier. This attitude resulted in a mass hysteria whenever they'd encounter people with slightly different opinions and they would respond with attacks. @Kei perfectly summed up what the fandom has done in this post from the Relationships thread, Part 6:

kei wrote:No, shitstorm didn't end because people got violently thrown under the bus, run over and forgotten by the fandom. Leaving the Squid* thing aside for a minute, over the past two months alone you still have:

1. People who were threatened with death, doxxing and excommunication for daring to suggest he had a girlfriend.

2. After a long history of actively pretending to be a bachelor (which is how the issue, I would say, actually began: not by never mentioning a girlfriend, but outright talking about "being lonely" and single) Mark admitted he once had a girlfriend, up until recently, then blaming evidence as "rumors" that made him admit the truth. He then use emotionally manipulative language to convince fans to subscribe to Jess, when they barely knew who she is or why they would want to other than "Mark said it would mean the world to him".

3. People who were threatened with death, doxxing and excommunication for expressing disappointment in his actions and pointing out the fact he could have easily kept his SO private without resorting to lying for almost 2 years to the community he claims transparency with.

4. People who were threatened with death, doxxing and excommunication for expressing disappointment in his community for #3.

So the hurt and forgotten people did the only thing they could: come to GG to vent. Where they knew their lives wouldn't be threatened by the "most caring community on the internet."

The latest post of his doesn't surprise me at all. He assumes everyone can return to the status quo because he feels nothing serious happened in the end. Tell that to the tinyboxtim blog. Tell that to the dozens of anons who expressed gratitude for the ability to voice their very real fear of his fans because they were no longer welcome for voicing anything other than blind support.

In a way, I don't blame him. He feels this is the only way to rein in a fandom gone so far out of control someone really could end up hurt. But the "moving forward thing", weirdly admirable in its own right, won't fix the giant goddamn hole left in the wake of those fans that didn't fit tumblr's version of the "Markiplite mold" who were made to feel like shit, then quickly buried and forgotten.

*Squid refers to @SquidBeatz, the former fan of Mark who grew disappointed in him after he gave Jess's channel free publicity by introducing her as his ex. She was a content creator who was frustrated with the post Mark made. Same fanatics did not like her statements and ruined her personal life by taking her personal info and using it against her.
My purpose on Guru Gossip is partici...

Return to “Markiplier”