We have upgraded to the latest forum software, so we are currently editing styles and testing extensions.

Markiplier's Relationships - Part 7

kei
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Markiplier's Relationships - Part 7

Post by kei » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:18 pm

Some really good points here. Just to highlight:
M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:The rest are so obsessed with his looks and how he makes them feel good that anyone who dares disagree with them is harassed mercilessly!
I think you just successfully summed up the vocal minority of his fanbase in a single sentence. And that actually makes me wonder...when critics attack Mark, or even "just aren't into him", when those supposed fans bare their claws in retaliation, or even try to bully others into submission just for having a different opinion, I'm beginning to suspect they've wrapped their entire lives around Mark's existence to the point they feel personally attacked, and are lashing out because they feel threatened. Not out of any actual loyalty to Mark. I'm also of the opinion he sees that too, to some degree.
M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:Hopefully in time there will be more opportunities for Youtubers to branch out and be more creative without relying on old unsustainable ways, but it hasn't been invented yet.
That's another interesting point. Growing pains in general can be hard, but when it's an internet phenomenon that's still trailblazing a path through uncertainty, no one can tell where or how it's going to end up. I'd love to see more opportunities arise too, but that would make me concerned about people trying to create their own brand. Once enough of the bigger companies sink their multi-billion dollar assets into Youtube, there may just not be any room left for newcomers. Even in gaming, Jack recently mentioned how it used to be a huge deal for someone to have a few hundred thousand subscribers, but now even those with 1 million subs are looked down upon as smaller fish in the Youtube pond.
AquarianHorse wrote:I wonder what will happen to the fandom when Mark does quit Youtube :rofl: People will probably threaten him, or threaten to take their lives, or go crazy or fight each other.
Quite possibly all of the above. And I would bet anything Mark knows it. That may be one of the bigger reasons he took a gigantic step back once he realized his motivational vlogs were instead turning into crutches for people that need far more support than he can give them.
M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:But the more popular he gets, the more he loses that privacy and even some of his humanity with the way the fans treat him [...] But more likely they'll get infatuated with another celebrity, they'll hoist him up on God Rock and the circle of bullshit will continue.
Once of the most depressing posts I've seen here, but also one of the truest. You can see it, sometimes: he wants to be the person he was at the beginning, who would thank his viewers every few thousand he'd get and make silly or scary videos whenever an idea struck him. That was long before FNAF, before 10 million fans, before a cross-country move and so much interpersonal intrigue within Youtube's hallowed halls that it makes international politics look easy.

And one thing I'm taking with me from this convo on GG is the realization that as much as Mark wants with all his heart to make a community that will be different from the others, kinder, more socially responsible, and however much he wants to cultivate leadership among them...the truth is a large mass of people will always sink to the lowest common denominator among them. It's what drives herd mentality, and makes even the smartest person alive do something stupid. In this case, the lowest common denominator has decided to treat him like a deified child, and even if they pretend they aren't worshiping him, the very fact I see so many of them just waiting for him to tweet something or post a video only to respond quite literally within 0.003 seconds every single time suggests otherwise. He's a gamer, an actor, and a creator. He only wanted to be seen as such on Youtube, not the self-help guru others are labeling him as. And when he stops making videos, which he will, that lowest common denominator won't allow the masses to become leaders. If anything, it will make them flounder aimlessly in depression until the next Mark comes along. Then it will happen all over again.

This may be getting too deep for an otherwise surface-level convo, but...as much as I really wish Mark's dreams and hopes for his community would come true, how can you possibly alter the essence of human nature? He basically wants to improve human nature and, by extension, the world. He's 100% right that it's a person-to-person thing, that the improvement only happens when each person makes the conscious choice to take the lead in their own communities and become "better" instead of acting on survival instincts alone, but when you have this ever-growing mass of fans you already acknowledged grew beyond your control long ago, how will the herd mentality ever allow those individuals to reach that conscious decision and improve themselves? Especially when so many are already reliant on external stimuli (i.e. his videos) to feel like they have internal happiness? If that's the case, and the popularity boost he's experienced has allowed his message to reach an exponentially larger crowd that all depend on him to be happy...was his plan to make a better world doomed from the start?

My head hurts now. :?
I've made a board you guys can go to whenever GG is down and you want to stay in touch with the Markiplier or Jacksepticeye community. Just don't expect anything fancy. :P
http://ggrefugees.forumotion.com/

M0nkeeButt2590
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by M0nkeeButt2590 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:41 pm

... Whoa... Deep... I think I need aspirin now...

It's all true though. In a way, Mark is fighting an up-hill battle. He wants to lead these fans in the right direction, but they are content with just worshiping him and following the herd rather than branching out to form their own, even to the point of starvation and rage. And when the alpha finally disappears, be it through an accident or intentional means, there's nothing but some floundering sheep dazed and confused fighting amongst each other until someone else steps up and the cycle continues.

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:52 pm

That's a good point about the vlogs. The last inspirational type one was "Changing the World," wasn't it? Then shortly after, everything went to pieces with his Tumblr promotion post. :roll: And he hasn't publicly followed up since then.

Was his plan doomed from the start? I don't know, and I also don't know how the people who seem to rely on him for survival will get to the point where they decide to improve themselves. There will always be people who latch onto others as an unhealthy way of coping with their problems. And I think people naturally want someone they can admire. Maybe if he had never decided to make vlogs or connect personally with his fans, we wouldn't have the problems we're having now. But then again, he might also not be as popular as he is now. Personally, I think the change he's talking about is something that is physically impossible on a large scale. It's something that can only be done quietly, away from the spotlight, where people are helping and getting help because they want to, not because they're trying to get attention.

Something else I was thinking about. Whenever I see a post where someone refers to him, Jack, or any other Youtuber as a friend, I'm uncomfortable. I don't even like it when a Youtuber refers to themselves as a "friend" to their viewers (something I know Jack does sometimes), because I think that invites strangers to take liberties (e.g., sending Skype friend requests, knocking on doors, tackling for hugs) that they wouldn't otherwise take. I'm not bothered when people say things along the lines of, "Watching Let's Plays is like gaming with friends!" because I think that's what LPs are supposed to give the illusion of. But when they say, "He's helped me through (insert trauma here)! He's my best friend!" I want to sit them down and read them the dictionary definition of friend. A friendship is a mutual thing.

And yeah, this is all pretty deep. :lol: But I find it interesting to think about topics like this sometimes.

professionallurker
Talker
Talker

Post by professionallurker » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:28 pm

Ryan looks like Silent Bob in the new video Mark posted. :D

AquarianHorse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:37 pm

@Kei That be creepy if the fans actually have their lives revolve all around Mark D: Damn. Talk about creepy obsessive fan people. I'm sure there's some creepy fan that has pictures of him all over their bedroom wall..okay I don't wanna think about XD; People sure do take things personally. I can understand someone being upset over a really harsh opinion like oh Mark is a rapist, etc. Yeah I can understand relate to you being pissed off, but saying "oh I am not a big fan of Mark, he isn't my cup of tea" If you get upset at that, wow...you need help on your own issues. :/

His motivational speeches were nice, it showed he's a caring person but of course it's all up to you. Saying he cured your depression like I probably said on here before, is just far stretched. You can't cure things like depression, I don't know, maybe there is a cure to those things I just don't know but yes Mark can help you feel better but doesn't mean the inner demons won't swallow you whole you when it has the chance. Your depression, or whatever is STILL THERE. He makes your day better, he doesn't cure depression. There's a difference. If he could cure things my god doctors would be rushing to his house asking what he did XD

I agree about the paragraph about Mark wanting to make things better but the community sinks deeper. Maybe Mark just gave up trying-understandable. You can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink. He probably just got fed up and was like screw it they don't listen. I do miss the creepy random videos. Though the Sonic.exe, Meow thing and the how to be a viral video maker were random. I know how people feel about sonic.exe. It was odd but I prefer the Meow. I notice he doesn't do "Darkiplier" videos as people would call it as much, actually he hasn't in god knows how long XD I guess maybe him wearing the Woody Mask would count? :P Just staring at you....behind the mask......with creepy music playing in the background (Maybe it is but it kinda reminded me of some of the music from the Slender games XD)

@Monkee sadly I don't think the fighting among fans will ever stop. It would be nice yeah :/ ON deviantart sometimes there will be a thread about, what do you hate or what pisses you off the most, and I seen several people say "Fandoms" I can understand that. I think the Markiplier is the craziest fan community I ever been in....they just really scare me D: Or maybe I haven't just wandered deep enough to other fandoms I been in XD

@Kierans It makes me uncomfortable to call someone you don't personally know as a friend. Heck I remember when I was younger my sister would say "Oh all of your online friends aren't real friends". But wow calling someone you don't even talk to like at all is just a whole new level, of "They're not your friends". Sorry, you people that call Mark or Jack, or Jami or Dodger, or ANYONE that's a celeb on YT as a friend, you need to look up the meanings of FRIEND/FRIENDSHIP. A friend is someone that talks to you TOO and you talk a lot and stuff. They're not even your acquaintances. I think the people that say Mark, Jack, etc are just trying to look cool or make themselves feel better, etc.

Besides, news flash, just because you love Mark, Jack, Yami, Wade, etc. etc. and think they're great people, it doesn't mean you would be compatible to be friends with them.

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:14 pm

@Aquarian, exactly! You can have online friends you've never met, but calling a stranger your best friend doesn't sit right with me.

Also, I just watched today's video. Nice to see him, Ryan, and Matt together again. :)

M0nkeeButt2590
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by M0nkeeButt2590 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:39 pm

Kierans wrote:@Aquarian, exactly! You can have online friends you've never met, but calling a stranger your best friend doesn't sit right with me.

Also, I just watched today's video. Nice to see him, Ryan, and Matt together again. :)
Agreed on all accounts. And yeah Ryan does look like Silent Bob now. I also think this is gonna be a running gag now where Ryan screws up Mark's outro and make him freak a little! :rofl:

And the 2nd Make a Wish kid is gonna be fulfilled soon! Awesome! :tu:

kei
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kei » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:49 pm

His laugh at the end was nice to hear, especially after the tweets he'd made earlier about the house being so quiet. You can just hear in that laugh how much the return to normalcy is helping him. IMO it even sounds like there's a little relief in it. After all this, after the year Mark's had, after the year Ryan's had, it's really nice to see them both able to joke again. I'm not leaving Matt out, either: it was a great idea for him to re-start Kids With Problems and include Ryan in it. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. As for Mark, I think he's starting to do more things on his channel that are just for his sake more than the fans, and in this situation I'm really glad to see that.
I've made a board you guys can go to whenever GG is down and you want to stay in touch with the Markiplier or Jacksepticeye community. Just don't expect anything fancy. :P

AquarianHorse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:17 pm

Yeah :D Mark does have an adorable laugh, and he seems to like to "yell" at his friends XD

Daniliz92
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Daniliz92 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:46 pm

did anyone see the video he did with ryan and matt? i cracked up laughing :rofl: being an introvert like myself i can understand his side of things and the fans at the same time. the thing with the fans is crazzzzyyy and i can understand being protective (like me) but damn take a chill pill. as for the changes i think mark looks good no matter what he wears. speaking of fans i did see one video of this girl talking about "some" markiplier fans trying to crash daniels funeral... :roll:
im gonna end my rant now but yeah

M0nkeeButt2590
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by M0nkeeButt2590 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:39 am

Daniliz92 wrote:did anyone see the video he did with ryan and matt? i cracked up laughing :rofl: being an introvert like myself i can understand his side of things and the fans at the same time. the thing with the fans is crazzzzyyy and i can understand being protective (like me) but damn take a chill pill. as for the changes i think mark looks good no matter what he wears. speaking of fans i did see one video of this girl talking about "some" markiplier fans trying to crash daniels funeral... :roll:
Yeah I saw people on Tumblr and even Ryan ordering fans not to crash the funeral or harass him while he was in SC. I was really happy to see that one fan on there saw Mark coming out of a movie theatre with Matt and Ryan, but didn't approach him for an autograph or anything because they wanted to respect him and give him space while he was recovering. It shows that there are respectful fans out there with common courtesy.

Also just saw on Ryan's Twitter he seems to be trying his hands at quitting smoking, so that's good. The important thing is he's doing it on his own terms and not being bullied into it and he's surrounded by friends to help him through it.

AquarianHorse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:20 am

" "some" markiplier fans trying to crash daniels funeral.." Sigh. Do parents even watch some of these rude fans or are some of these fans grown ass adults? :roll:

Even though I'm not a fan of Ryan at the moment, I agree it's good he's quitting because he wants to, not because of some whiny fans.

kei
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kei » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:38 am

AquarianHorse wrote:" "some" markiplier fans trying to crash daniels funeral.." Sigh. Do parents even watch some of these rude fans or are some of these fans grown ass adults? :roll:

Even though I'm not a fan of Ryan at the moment, I agree it's good he's quitting because he wants to, not because of some whiny fans.
I have a feeling the other two have something to do with it. Neither of them seem to tolerate smoking. But you're right, I'm glad he did it because he wants to rather than letting the fans bully him. Though I would say they're probably taking credit for it now like proud parents.

AquarianHorse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:41 am

Yeah, I don't know anything about Matt's past or himself but I can understand why Mark doesn't tolerate because of his dad :/

Gorillaz1236
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Gorillaz1236 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:27 am

M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:
Daniliz92 wrote:did anyone see the video he did with ryan and matt? i cracked up laughing :rofl: being an introvert like myself i can understand his side of things and the fans at the same time. the thing with the fans is crazzzzyyy and i can understand being protective (like me) but damn take a chill pill. as for the changes i think mark looks good no matter what he wears. speaking of fans i did see one video of this girl talking about "some" markiplier fans trying to crash daniels funeral... :roll:
Yeah I saw people on Tumblr and even Ryan ordering fans not to crash the funeral or harass him while he was in SC. I was really happy to see that one fan on there saw Mark coming out of a movie theatre with Matt and Ryan, but didn't approach him for an autograph or anything because they wanted to respect him and give him space while he was recovering. It shows that there are respectful fans out there with common courtesy.

Also just saw on Ryan's Twitter he seems to be trying his hands at quitting smoking, so that's good. The important thing is he's doing it on his own terms and not being bullied into it and he's surrounded by friends to help him through it.
That was very respectful. It's cool they got to see Mark, but in tragedy Mark, Ryan and Matt just need some peace. Also, the tragedy in France has a lot of people shaken up. I hope you all are ok in this. I haven't watched any of Mark's videos in months and the news of France and ISIS had my anxiety up and watching Mark and the guys brought a lot of joy back into me.

I hope things get better for Ryan. Smoking is hard to quit as I've had friends go cold turkey and look a mess. Ryan is such a big spirit and I was so pleased to see fans make him smile. Someone even remixed his laugh :rofl:

Love and peace Ryan.

(I was hibernating and Of-Another-Broken-Heart got that side blog deleted)

AquarianHorse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:32 am

Hopefully Ryan won't be an ass when he slowly starts quits smoking. I heard stories of how smokers tried quitting and they were the devil. My dad tried quitting last year and oh my god, he was a fucking asshole. I even was looking for rommates to live with and move out of the house because he was an unbearable jerk.

Gorillaz1236
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Gorillaz1236 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:42 am

AquarianHorse wrote:
Hopefully not. But he has support on many sides, and while he's going through a bad time, he should know to keep all assholing off-camera and off media. Fans have been beyond supportive so he's not dumb enough to disrespect them.

The trio have their dynamic so they know how to handle it.

also, How about dogiplier huh? Where's the pup Mark? You promised us dog? Where dog?

AquarianHorse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:45 am

Yeah. I'd think distracting yourself with fun nice happy stuff would help :D

Yeah Mark, what the hell? I would think the people at the spca would get annoyed that Mark is wanting a dog and saying he'll pick it up twice now. That probably makes him look bad :/

kei
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kei » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:02 am

I'm fairly certain there are some things going on behind the scenes he hasn't mentioned. I would guess fans all over social media are bugging him about the dog. Or if they aren't, they will be soon, after going "Hey, wait, what about...?" On the other side of that coin I imagine that's why he's been keeping things a lot more private recently, after realizing everything he says (for better or worse) will be heard by 10 million people across the globe. Once it actually hits you, in his shoes I would hide my cards a lot better too.

AquarianHorse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AquarianHorse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:12 am

Makes sense. :) It is kinda creepy and unnerving that 10 million pairs of eyes are on you all the time D: Even if there aren't always 10 millions keeping up or still watching still it's kind of sad because you can't be really public with things. D: I wouldn't like to be bugged about something I said too.

Return to “Markiplier”