Grammatical Ignorance

Post Reply
User avatar
HungoverinHighHeels
Support Moddie
Support Moddie
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Estados Unidos

Grammatical Ignorance

Post by HungoverinHighHeels » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:35 am

I just have to rant. I see so many people writing "should of" "could of" "must of" etc. Goddammit, people, it's SHOULD'VE, COULD'VE, or MUST'VE. I see it mainly on Youtube and IG comments and it just annoys the hell out of me. Is this what passes as acceptable grammar these days?!?

Or when people say something like "I have a Instagram account" instead of "I have an Instagram account". I'm not trying to be a grammar nazi but damn, why is grammatical ignorance so acceptable?!
Good Mod and Bad Mod left for the day...I'm a different kind of Mod

Gossip is gossip, you cannot pick and choose. GG is not going to be tailor-made to YOUR brand of gossip.
User avatar
Pastel Rage
Talker
Talker
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:01 am

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by Pastel Rage » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:59 am

I hate the 'of' thing so damn much. It literally doesn't make any sense.

Another thing that bugs the hell out of me is when people say they 'could care less'. THAT'S (probably) NOT WHAT YOU MEAN.
Image
User avatar
schadenfreude
Talker
Talker
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:04 am

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by schadenfreude » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:11 pm

I'm adding people who say "draw" instead of drawer, too. Bitch, you don't have anything in yours draws, because that isn't a damn noun!
User avatar
Jeweul
Talker
Talker
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:41 am

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by Jeweul » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:00 pm

Pastel Rage wrote:I hate the 'of' thing so damn much. It literally doesn't make any sense.

Another thing that bugs the hell out of me is when people say they 'could care less'. THAT'S (probably) NOT WHAT YOU MEAN.
My friend always says 'could care less' and it bugs me so much that I always end up being the prick that corrects her. :x
Image
"I know things, remember?"
User avatar
weetabix
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:39 am

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by weetabix » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:44 am

I hate that "of" thing, too. I also hate:

"I wish I would have done it" ... instead of "I wish I had done it"

and

"Thanks for inviting Suzy and I" instead of "Thanks for inviting Suzy and me."
Image
User avatar
Buffy Bot
Learner
Learner
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by Buffy Bot » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:47 am

Also, "defiantly" :roll: "I think that's defiantly incorrect".... Do these dickheads realise that defiantly is not interchangeable with definitely? Or do they not know how to spell definitely so they write defiantly instead and if someone corrects them, they can say "typo!" I don't get it, i do a damn happy dance whenever anyone actually writes "definitely". They don't mean the same frigging thing! Pisses me off.

And when people use "actually" too much. "I am actually shocked". That's just unnecessary. And it's enunciated so harshly. It's not necessary, you're using it wrong and you sound like a fucking moron. I swear, it's trending.

Oh god, i have a feeling i'm going to spend a lot of time ranting on this thread... :)
User avatar
mzkitteh
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by mzkitteh » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Buffy Bot wrote:Also, "defiantly" :roll: "I think that's defiantly incorrect".... Do these dickheads realise that defiantly is not interchangeable with definitely? Or do they not know how to spell definitely so they write defiantly instead and if someone corrects them, they can say "typo!" I don't get it, i do a damn happy dance whenever anyone actually writes "definitely". They don't mean the same frigging thing! Pisses me off.

And when people use "actually" too much. "I am actually shocked". That's just unnecessary. And it's enunciated so harshly. It's not necessary, you're using it wrong and you sound like a fucking moron. I swear, it's trending.

Oh god, i have a feeling i'm going to spend a lot of time ranting on this thread... :)

I DEFIANTLY agree!!! Oh so rebellious. LOL
The should of, could of, would of bugs the crap out of me too. You cannot OF something.

Oh, and what about "I seen." Now you didn't. You didn't seen it. You saw it.

And then there's the wrong usage of your/you're and there/their/they're.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Gobble Gobble!
User avatar
schadenfreude
Talker
Talker
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:04 am

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by schadenfreude » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:39 pm

Oh my god, my OH says "seen" quite a lot and I shout at him for it!
Wombat
Talker
Talker
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:10 pm

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by Wombat » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:05 pm

People using then in place of than make me twitchy.
User avatar
Buffy Bot
Learner
Learner
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by Buffy Bot » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:04 am

"All be it" :roll: You mean "albeit". It's one word. If you're going to use it in every sentence, at least get it right :lol:
User avatar
bunnybutt420
Talker
Talker
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:39 pm
Location: I'm lost

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by bunnybutt420 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:04 pm

OK, I get it OP. I also get annoyed at poor grammar (you're vs. your for example), but we should bare in mind that not everyone on this forum has English as their first/mother language. We all start somewhere.
Image

We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive, we do not forget.
Expect us.
User avatar
Buffy Bot
Learner
Learner
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by Buffy Bot » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:08 am

bunnybutt420 wrote:OK, I get it OP. I also get annoyed at poor grammar (you're vs. your for example), but we should bare in mind that not everyone on this forum has English as their first/mother language. We all start somewhere.
In that case, it's not just the OP, it's everyone that has commented on this thread. Not being native English is fine and understandable. This thread was made to vent about it without having to leave someone a message (or confront them face to face) that would be embarassing for them, saying something like "Dumbass, it's there, not they're", for example. Isn't that the whole point of GG in the first place?

It's when people are native English speakers that it's annoying. I left school at 11 cos of stuff at home and i still know the difference between your and you're, for example. That's what makes it so annoying to me personally, i just don't understand what's so difficult to understand about it. But i am sorry if you're offended, i don't think anyone here was trying to be a dick.
User avatar
Trololol
Learner
Learner
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:22 am
Location: Headhunter Island

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by Trololol » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:41 am

What I find most annoying is when you correct people and they act like you killed their dog. Like, I'm sorry that I tried to help you improve with your English. It's not like I screenshot what you wrote and posted it on a grammar shaming blog.
ImageImage

Any typos made are the result of smartphone screen typing. #butterfingers

freegurugossip.tumblr.com
User avatar
Pastel Rage
Talker
Talker
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:01 am

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by Pastel Rage » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:03 am

Trololol wrote:What I find most annoying is when you correct people and they act like you killed their dog. Like, I'm sorry that I tried to help you improve with your English. It's not like I screenshot what you wrote and posted it on a grammar shaming blog.
I have a friend who will routinely spell words wrong and then add "(how do you spell that?)". And then she gets offended when I correct her :roll:
Image
User avatar
Eastsiderider
Informer
Informer
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:47 am

Re: Grammatical Ignorance

Post by Eastsiderider » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:54 am

English isn't my first language, but... Writing whit instead of with, witch instead of which :( I just don't get why it is so hard to tell when you have to use your and you're, if you mix those up, it instantly makes you look like a dumbass.

Also, in general, writing like this: "wat r u tryna say btch wat u gonna do abt it" What's the point? No one understands you.
Post Reply

Return to “Absolutely NOTHING To Do With Gurus”